Anytime we try something for the first time, it’s typical for us to be a little anxious; we don’t like the unknown. In order to calm any nerves, here is a little of what you can expect on your first visit to Mauldin United Methodist:
- If you're an earlybird, the 8:45 Traditional service is for you. As you enter our gathering area up at the front of the church (a.k.a. "the Son Room"), you'll be greeted by one of our greeters or ushers.
- If you come for one of our later services, there is parking in front, on the side, and behind the church. The contemporary (LIVE) service is in the large building towards the back of the church and it starts at 10:55. If traditional worship is more for you, it begins at 11:00, and is in the main sanctuary. Because the LIVE and Traditional services are happening at the same time, it is best to arrive 15-20 minutes prior so that you can find a parking spot and get to where you need to go.
- Children are welcome in any of our worship services, but our Greeters and Ushers will also be glad to help you find our nursery (ages 0-3). If you have any questions about our nursery, please contact our coordinator, Angie Smith. Children ages K4-2nd grade will have the opportunity to go to an age-appropriate Children's Church experience midway through our worship service at the 8:45 service, but in the later services, both the LIVE and Traditional, kids (K4-2nd grade) are invited to go to a full hour Children's Church worship service. It happens each week in our newly renovated Children's Ministry Center which upstairs in the old education wing. This service is run by our Director of Christian Education, Michael Norris. The service will consist of the same elements of the adult worship services-except its more on their level. There is a telling of a Bible Story (sometimes using puppets), worship and singing, prayer, taking offering, and arts and crafts that honor God. The only Sunday that the Children's Church doesn't meet is on the first Sundays of the month where we celebrate Communion. These days they will remain with their families so that they can participate in the Sacrament. Some major holidays we won't have Children's Church either (Easter, Mother's Day).
- All of our worship services are casual ...some folks still wear them, but there's no need for a tie. Whether you worship in the traditional service in the Sanctuary or in the Spirit Center at LIVE (contemporary), you will find an exciting and compelling presentation of Biblical truths in word, song, and prayer.
- Please fill out the attendance pad that you will find on your pew or seat. Please put all your information because this gives us the chance to contact you to thank you for coming and answer any questions you may have. We also have quarterly lunches with the pastor so that you can take a guided tour of the church and meet other staff members and begin the connection process around a free meal. It is vitally important to us that we make you feel at home at Mauldin Methodist church, and we really feel like the Pastor's lunch is the first step in that.
- The Inquirer's Gathering meets in the church Parlor every Sunday morning at 10 a.m. and in the Spirit Center every first Sunday at 10:00 a.m. Please bring your questions and join us to learn about Mauldin UMC in a casual, informal setting. This is a vital first step in connecting with us here at MUMC.
- At 10:00 am, Sunday Morning Groups start and there is a vast list of Adult and children's groups that we offer for you and also your children (if applicable). Because the list of classes can sometimes be overwhelming, please feel free to contact Rev. Smoke Kanipe or Travis Abercrombie so that they can personally connect you with a few groups to try.
- Small groups are also a great way to CONNECT to our church and to grow in your faith. Most happen on Wednesday nights following the Family Night Meal in the Winter/Spring and Fall, but there are a few that are scheduled on different nights as well. After attending an Inquirers' Gathering, the first course that every newcomer should take is the "First Fruits" course led by LIVE worship leader, Travis Abercrombie. It is a 9-week journey into our faith and community, which also serves as a great springboard to connecting you with the body of Christ here at Mauldin UMC.
If at any time you have questions, please visit one of our Information tables. Make sure you stop by the Son Room (front of church) or the Spirit Center before worship for a time of fellowship around free donuts and coffee.
We look forward to meeting you and welcoming you into our community of faith!